-->

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Few more aspects of Blogging

I discussed many features of blogging in my previous posts, and some of the interpretations have been agreed by other bloggers. Here I am writing about another interesting aspect of blogging - words used in comments and tagging, back linking.

Why choosing of words are delicate? It is sensitive because of the cultural difference and word interpretation by non-eng speaking bloggers.

We are not playing any world championship in blogoshpere, not competing to each other like liberal and conservatives. So, if you don’t like a blogger obviously you will not tag him/her and will not write abusive posts. Your rigidness can make you infamous, so everyone try to be polite in his or her blog.

But sometime it may happen that a comment, constructive criticism can be taken wrongly. Even a positive tagging can be inerpreted in different way. For an example I tagged one friend analyzing his/her blog “simple” .. and excellent. The word “Simple” created a mess and s/he interpreted it wrongly. I feel sorry for that. I like the blog and that the reason I tagged. This confusion happened because of language issue. I strongly feel if English is not your first language you have to be careful in choosing words. For an example last Friday I have seen one status message of one of my friend’s gtalk - “Again Friday”. It sounds like “oh no not again” – though what he meant was completely different. Basically he translated from his mother taungue and achieved this phrase.

But the most important thing is the cultural difference. Let me give an example, last year I wanted to invite one old colleague (she is older than my mom) in our house. We thought its better to go and knock her door, rather call her for dinner. That’s what we do in India, but not in Europe. Basically we disturbed her that we realized later, she felt offended and we apologized. There are many delicate examples like this where simplest behavior, small gesture matters most. These are nothing but cultural difference of different society.

Thus when you are commenting/replying any comment or tagging/back linking others its better to keep in mind about these factors. We have to appreciate each others culture. Words like thanks, nice weekend, Namaste matters. Try to reply the comments from other bloggers if s/he has given some elaborate feedback, coz s/he can expect your reaction against the comment. Even a small :-) smile can make us happy.

I have read some of the posts regarding Tagging. So we all know its importance and do not want to discuss it now. Similarly back linking is important (tagging a specific post is called back linking - You can track tagging or back linking by Technorati or by setting->comment->enable backlinks in blogger service). Don’t forget to back link if you are writing your post based on someone’s basic thoughts.

PS: this pic is the back view from our apartment.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....Pijush....Blogging tips and advices continued.....Cultural and language differences does create problems sometimes, so we just have to be very careful as culture and language are very sensitive....Nice reading, Keep Writing...!

Rowdy said...

Thanks Piyush for the tips. It'll always help. And the photo is very refreshing.

Pijush said...

@Kalyan,
As of now this is my last post on blogging tips. Yes these factors matter most while communicating people with different countries. Keep Smiling.

@Rowdy,
Its my pleasure that you liked the post and photo. Take care.

Movie Mazaa said...

Oh yes...
Language can be a tricky thing..
One intend something and ends up conveying something else...

:)

Movie Mazaa said...

*intends!!

And hope u dont mind my blogrolling u!

Keshi said...

great tips!

Keshi.

KP said...

kewl....:)

Raghu Ram Prasad said...

Good tips for good goings...thanks

Lakshmi said...

Very sensitive thoughts ...thanks . Ive realized that communication is so important...not just as a professional, but in day to day matters as well...the tone and manner along with words and as blogging is more of a written form of communication, we need to choose our words very carefully...

Pijush said...

@MM, its my pleasure. Thank you. I have done same :-)

@Keshi, Glad you liked it, Take care.

@KP, Welcome to my blog, Keep coming

@Raghu, Thanks you too.

@Backpakker, Thanks for the nice comment, I also think the same. In my profession it is very important to have a balanced proper communication (as I have to work with many people from many different countries). Communication is important in blogosphere as well as in our society. Stay Well :-)

Anonymous said...

hey u took it wrong again.
i said i was surprised to see that words, 'nothing but diary'.
and that is not cultural thingie. native english friends agreed with me.
dont u feel sad if someone says ur blog is nothing but diary?

Pijush said...

@Niki-Chan, Then it is again a miscommunication which proves how important is backlinking and use of words. Never mind. Keep Smiling.

My Unfinished Life said...

nice tips!!.... sometimes most right words come out wrongly!!!!

Sigma said...

I agree, right communication, especially across cultural boundaries, can be quite a challenge. I liked the post, since you have put your points very clearly with examples [good communication skills, eh? ;-)]

Sigma said...

I agree, right communication, especially across cultural boundaries, can be quite a challenge. I liked the post, since you have put your points very clearly with examples [good communication skills, eh? ;-)]

Btw, there was a very interesting article on this theme in the Reader's Digest, few months back.

Pijush said...

@Sigma, Thank You, I also agree that the across cultural boundaries can be quite challenging sometime. I have many experiences of these miscommunications. So now learnt a little to communicate better :-)